Are YOU Nepal Communitere’s Next Program Officer?
TITLE: Program Officer
LOCATION: Kathmandu, Nepal
COMPENSATION: Competitive based on experience
ANTICIPATED START DATE: ASAP
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: 20th September 2020
HOW TO APPLY: Please send your most recent CV, a cover letter and 1 minute selfie video in Nepali and 1 min in English on ‘what excites you about working with Nepali startups’ (in English and Nepali) to [email protected]
What is Nepal Communitere?
Nepal Communitere is a female-led Nepali not-for-profit organization started after the 2015 Nepal earthquakes under the premise that a disaster can be a catalyst for innovation. It has evolved into an open and inclusive community-led innovation hub for bold innovators and creative change makers, harnessing new ideas to help address social and environmental challenges. We offer co-working space, a training lab, Makerspace, business incubation, coaching and consulting services to help innovators, artists, activists and entrepreneurs convert ideas into reality. Our dynamic space, made from 16 donated shipping containers, is a place that values growth, creativity, sustainability, collaboration, human-centered design and iteration. We believe the process is as important, if not more so, than the product. To date we have supported over 50 diverse community projects, initiatives and startups over the past 3 years. Our flagship I-Cube (Innovate, Iterate, Incubate) Business Incubation Program emphasizes transfer of knowledge and a co-creation process through design-thinking approaches, rapid prototyping, testing, iterating and market penetration.
Who is the Program Officer?
Nepal Communitere seeks a Program Officer to lead its Business Incubation Services to support Nepali entrepreneurs in building viable enterprises. Our Program Officer is a strategic thinker, focuses on tangible results, possesses a collaborative “can do” attitude and a desire for continuous improvement.
The Program Officer will chiefly be responsible for the planning, development and implementation of our business incubator programs, while providing support to broader communication, coordination and management activities at Nepal Communitere. They will also be taking lead on new programs and projects being designed and developed to expand incubation services outside the Kathmandu Valley. The Program Officer is used to the pressure of multiple project deliverables and can effectively work with colleagues and partner organizations at all levels, whilst managing expectations of all parties and making sure to meet deadlines and requirements. This role calls for strong English and Nepali verbal skills to facilitate in person and virtual workshops and conduct presentations as well as an excellent command of written English skills for documentation and reporting.
The Program Officer is a full-time position based at Nepal Communitere in Pulchowk, Lalitpur.
What is the Program Officer’s Role & Responsibilities?
The Program Officer will report to the Deputy Director, Programs on the following key functions:
- Programmatic Support:
- Oversee the proper sourcing of startups based on outlined criteria and requirements of the incubation programs.
- Adapt and refine incubation curriculum to meet the needs of local startups, including necessary translation of content and development of materials such as presentations, handouts, facilitation and training guides.
- Facilitate development of quality business plans for startups.
- Travel within Nepal for workshops, training, events and meetings with startups, stakeholders, investors and steering committee members within and outside the Kathmandu Valley. (Once the COVID-19 situation improves).
- Provide overall programmatic support to the Nepal Communitere program team to ensure quality implementation of activities by troubleshooting, guiding and through collaborative problem-solving.
- Training & Coaching Incubation Companies:
- Facilitate monthly masterclasses and technical training as outlined in the incubation program in a collaborative, participatory and culturally sensitive approach to help companies achieve and scale up their business models and become financially sustainable.
- Provide quality weekly/bi-weekly one-on-one business, financial literacy and post-investment coaching sessions to companies enrolled in the incubation programs.
- Manage and update all Business Incubation training and coaching materials on a virtual platform.
- Provide masterclasses and business coaching sessions through a virtual online platform.
- Document the progress of the incubated startups as they achieve defined milestones through proper confidential documentation.
- Help troubleshoot and problem solve with incubated startups to continuously motivate and inspire entrepreneurs towards growth and progress.
- Research sector-specific information and resources to support startups with technical and business needs.
- Project Implementation, Management, Monitoring and Reporting:
- Provide overall project management support for the incubation programs.
- Maintain regular email communications (updates) with the steering committee of the incubation programs. Prepare and convene quarterly steering committee meetings.
- Participate in all donor meetings, and support documentation and tracking of meeting objectives and outcomes.
- Identify and manage external consultants including defining ToRs, recruitment, and performance evaluations in collaboration with the Deputy Director, Programs.
- Manage the Nepal Communitere Google Drive system to document all program activities and resources.
- Manage incubation Monitoring and Evaluation activities to ensure proper data collection activities are being conducted capturing feedback data from entrepreneurs in order to strengthen and improve program outcomes.
- Help prepare regular grant compliance program status/activity reports by providing necessary photos, sign-in sheets and other evidence as outlined in the program work plan, in collaboration with the Deputy Director, Programs.
- Monitor and report program indicators to document lessons learned, establish best practices, and progress based on the program log frame.
- Conduct process evaluations and necessary troubleshooting to help entrepreneurs reach programmatic milestones.
- Communication and Outreach:
- Assist with development of key stories (business incubation activities and companies) for internal and external partners through social media, email newsletters and website in collaboration with the Communications Officer.
- Help to cultivate relationships with key stakeholders and partners to map and build a network of potential startups, investors, experts (sector specific e.g. renewable energy, manufacturing, agriculture), entrepreneurs and facilitators, as well as linkages to the market for Nepal Communitere’s business incubation programs and it’s companies.
- Ensure that all communication tools abide by donor partner(s) and Nepal Communitere requirements.
- Continuous review of business proposals, applications and inquiries from startups and stakeholders to identify high potential startups and/or project partners to be engaged in Nepal Communitere’s Incubator programs on an ongoing basis.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s in Business, Entrepreneurship, Finance and Investment, Sustainability/Environment, Economics or related fields.
- 3-4 years of experience working in a similar position in Nepal, preferably in the entrepreneurship ecosystem.
- Knowledge on current thinking and practices in the field of Human Centred Design, Renewable Energy, and Lean Startup methods, is preferable.
- Demonstrated ability to work sensitively with diverse people, cultures and communities.
- Experience using virtual platforms such as Zoom and Miro are a plus.
- Well versed in using Google Suite including Google Docs and Google Drive and Microsoft Office.
- Strong writing skills in English (project reports, grant proposals, blogs) and verbal communications skills in Nepali and English.
- Ability to effectively facilitate workshops in both Nepali and English.
- Strong critical thinking skills, ability to problem solve and resourcefulness.
- Willingness to assume a range of unanticipated tasks and work flexible hours, including some weekends.
Apply now to join and become a part of our dynamic team!